GEORGE HINDLEY (1743-1839) and his DESCENDANTS

based mainly in Cheshire

catchwell.jpg

This picture is of Catchwell Cottage, Turnpike Road (Runcorn Road), Barnton, Northwich, Cheshire. c1890.

Catchwell Cottage was probably built in the early 1600s. The site used to be known as Pownalls Tenement and in 1701 it was part of the land purchased by Thomas Frith of Big Hey Farm. We are grateful to Mr Harrison (1865-1935), Headteacher at Brunner School, Barnton for taking this picture. Prints were taken from his glass plate negatives.

 

This was the home of George Hindley from 1825 - 1849.

It was the home of Peter Hindley from 1849 - 1889.

And the home of Edward Hindley from 1889 - 1900.

Catchwell Cottage was demolished in 1900 and "The Poplars" was built on the same site in 1900.